FLOOD UPDATE!

The Flood of 2011 forced the Humane Society to evacuate our 2 Jackson Street Binghamton shelter and temporarily suspend operations.  All the animals have been relocated and are safe.  We are now working on the first phase of the recovery plan in an effort to return to full operations as soon as possible.

We are aware the shelter sustained damage and have received preliminary reports of 4 feet of water in the building.  The extent of the damage cannot be assessed until we are able to return to the building.

When we evacuated we were unable to take food or supplies and are in need of the following:

• Pedigree adult complete nutrition dog food
  • Canned dog food
  • Purina kitten chow
  • Purina cat chow
  • Canned cat food
  • Cat litter
  • Paper towels
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Laundry Soap
  • Dish Soap
  • Large heavy duty garbage bags
  • Towels and blankets
  • Monetary donations are also needed.

All supplies can be taken to 1946 NYS  Rt.12, in the town of Chenango (Next to Allen Veterinary Hospital) where we are temporarily housing the animals. Allen Veterinary Hospital is assisting us with housing some of our animals which is allowing us to provide a more comfortable environment for all of them. We are grateful beyond words!

If you have any questions, please send an email to bhumanesoc@aol.com.  We will respond as quickly as we can.

The Humane Society would like to thank everyone for their concern and generosity while we, like much of  our community, rebound from this event.

Thank you.
Karen Matson
Executive Director

This entry was posted in Events. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to FLOOD UPDATE!

1. Debbie Zarr says:

I am praying for you & the animals. I will volunteer again after you are able to return to the shelter & it is cleaned up.

2. Debbie Zarr says:

PS I will donate some of the items on the list, if I can make it to Chenango.

3. Dolores Wisdom says:

I have a large training crate if you need it. please contact me via the above e-mail

4. Angela Healy says:

My mom and I dropped off a bunch of cat and dog food today, and cat litter. I was hoping to speak to someone about donating my time as well. I know you’re very busy with all that is going on, but if there is anything else you need please let me know.

5. Karen Hawley says:

I would like to volunteer with clean up or other help that you need with the animals. I will be dropping off some food this evening if I can get there.

6. Rae Freeman says:

Hi there, we have a bag of pet beds paper towels toys blankets etc…

but we don’t drive.
    If someone making a delivery goes by the Southside…could they swing by and pick our stuff up as well?
    We live right across from the Park Diner, can give further directions as needed.

Have posted this request on facebook also, but no response yet

Thank you!

7. faith abarno says:

Where should monetary donations be sent?

• Laura says:

Monetary donations can be made through the website or can be sent to our address at 2 Jackson St., Binghamton, NY. Our mail will be forwarded to our temporary location. Thank you!

8. Kimberly says:

I was hoping to get ahold of someone about a dog our family was waiting on one more decision for adoption when the rains hit last week. is there a number I can call to get information about maggie?

9. Please contact me if you need anything.I left my number with your staff already as I know you lost my contact info in the flood.I can help house/foster animals or for flooded families. Any flood victims can bring any small animals/exotics,birds here.(Guinea Pigs,Rabbits,Hamsters,gerbils,Ferrets,Chinchillas,ETC.)My contact info: Home 607-217-4843 Cell 607-727-1790 If I can help,I will!
    Prayers to you all and your wonderful hard work!
    Beth
    Conklin,NY

10. eleanor mosher says:

i just wanted to say thank god for dr allens kind heart and all of you who give your time ….i will be out with a donation of some kind tomarrow e.mosher